Operation Red Nose
Operation Red Nose
DECEMBER 1, 2, 8, 9, 15, 16, 22, 23, & 31
Every year, DGS organizes and manages Operation Red Nose’s Delta/Richmond region. It’s an enormous undertaking involving more than 350 volunteers, but it’s an important community service – as well as a major fundraiser – that delivers holidaymakers safely to their doors.
Our mission is to make sure that anyone who has been drinking, or is too tired, does not drive. We hope that by offering a completely safe, free, and confidential way to get home, lives will be saved on our roads. 2015, our 14th year of hosting the program, we provided 592 safe rides to partygoers in Delta and Richmond. Our teams drove 20,137 kilometers and we raised $19,992.65 from tip donations and another $28,750 from sponsorships and all for the kids!
The money is raised through sponsorships from businesses and tips from grateful users. It allows us to purchase new equipment for the gym that is used by everyone from parents and toddlers in our drop-in program, to school field trips, to gymnasts training for competition.
What is Operation Red Nose?
It’s a National Safe Drive program that raises money for amateur sport all across Canada. But more importantly, it’s a program that gets drivers home safely during the holiday season. For more information, please visit the Operation Red Nose website.
How can I get involved as a volunteer?
Our volunteers come from all walks of life, not just the gymnastics community. We need organizers and coordinators starting as early as July, and driving teams and dispatchers during November and December. Without the more than 350 volunteers Operation Red Nose uses each year, the program wouldn’t be possible!
If you would like to become part of our Organizing Committee, please take at look at the areas we need help here.
If any of the committee positions interest you, please contact our office by phone, or email us at email@example.com. Some positions go fast!
If you would like to be a member of a driving team, please:
- Print a Volunteer form.
- Print a Criminal Record Check form.
- Print an Operation Red Nose letter.
- Complete the Volunteer and Criminal Record Check forms.
- Take the Criminal Record Check and the letter to your local police department for processing. Your Criminal Record Check is free of charge.
- Once your Criminal Record Check has been processed, please bring it and your Volunteer form to the main office at DGS.
- After you've dropped off your Criminal Record Check, you can sign up for a night of ORN online here starting Sept 15th
If you’re a member of our Superstars or Competitive programs, please note that each family is required to participate. Please see our Parent Participation Program for further details.
How can I get involved as a business?
The business community of Richmond and Delta supports DGS and Operation Red Nose by helping to sponsor the program. They supply many of the things that keep our program and volunteers running: phones, food, advertising, a hotel room for our Appreciation Dinner and gifts for our volunteers. They even help us sponsor appearances by Rudy, the program’s national mascot!
If you’d like to help sponsor Operation Red Nose, please contact our office by phone, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How can I use the service for my company party?
This year, celebrate the holidays with Operation Red Nose! We can help make your company party fun and safe by ensuring that all your employees get home safely.
For a minimum $250 donation to Operation Red Nose, we will:
- Schedule your company party with our dispatch centre to ensure volunteer drivers are available to pick up your guests and their vehicles, and take them safely back to their homes.
- Provide you with Operation Red Nose posters so that your employees will know about our service prior to the party.
- Provide you with Operation Red Nose tent cards to display the night of the event.
- Schedule a visit to your party by Rudy, the Operation Red Nose mascot, to raise awareness of the service among partygoers.
- Offer a free ride home to your employees and their vehicles.
To coordinate your company event with our program
Contact our office by phone, or e-mail us at email@example.com