The Home Learners Enhanced Educational Program is a pilot project developed for home-learning students who have a passion for physical activity that are interested in augmenting their studies and improving educational outcomes. This program was created by DGS staff, including Dennis Lee, a certified BC teacher and gymnastics coach.
TEACHER – DENNIS LEE
- Background in education – taught in schools for 9+ years in a variety of subjects including arts, music, math, science, and ADST – Applied Design, Skills, and Technologies
- Has two degrees from SFU – a bachelor’s degree in education and a joint criminology/psychology degree
- NCCP-certified gymnastics coach with Delta Gymnastics since 2021
The program would incorporate both lesson and activity learning, and projects involving problem-solving. This is a supplementary program that would enhance student education in addition to the home learning curriculum, not replace it. The goal is to improve educational outcomes by providing students with new and challenging learning experiences, and increase physical literacy.
- Small class ratios to allow for optimal learning
- Curriculum adapted to the interests and needs of the students
- Time will be split – half in the gym and half in the classroom
- Program content would align with some areas of the BC curriculum (Whether academic credit past P.E. would be provided is undetermined at this time)
Day/Time: Wednesdays, 9:45am-1:45pm
Ages: Grades 1-7
Cost: $500 per child (pilot program cost) & membership fee required
Start Date: Wednesday, January 10, 2024
End Date: Wednesday, March 13, 2024
Space will be limited, as we continue to develop this new program. Parent feedback and reviews will be welcomed to assist in the initial stages of building this new addition to the home learners branch here at Delta Gymnastics.
REGISTRATION is now open and you can register online here. You will find the class under the winter session tab. Payment options are available – please reach out to Sharon at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
DENNIS LEE BIO
Dennis Lee is currently a coach at Delta Gymnastics, teaching a range of classes involving all ages. He has a bachelor’s degree in education, as well as a joint criminology/psychology degree, both from SFU. He previously taught nine years in elementary school settings, as well as some classes at high school levels in Surrey, Vancouver, and West Vancouver. Teaching is his passion, and the Home Learners Enhanced Education Program pilot project allows him to combine his love of teaching and gymnastics together.
He lives with his wife, two kids, and their dog in North Delta, and he enjoys drawing, playing the guitar/piano, and cooking in his spare time.